Friday, October 10, 2008

Tigers In Danger

I realize we haven't talked about tigers yet (sorry if that sounded like we're trying to talk about every single species ever to walk the face of this Earth). So I went looking around, and look what I dug up. This really is shocking news, at least to me. I would think that people in governments would go to every effort all the time to prevent such a thing, but there it is, it's happened.
This came directly from a report by WWF (that's World Wildlife Fund, for all you people out there who don't normally read stuff like this...
"In the first-ever comprehensive report on captive tiger regulations across the United States, wildlife trade monitoring group TRAFFIC and WWF found huge gaps in U.S. regulations for tigers held in captivity-which could make the big cats a target for illegal trade."
Illegal trade?! Honestly, I am surprised this happened, shocked, flabbergasted - I don't have the right words.
And look at what's become of it.
"Tiger populations are fast declining worldwide due to poaching for illegal trade, and habitat and prey loss. One of the leading threats to the species' survival is the global demand for their bones, skins and other body parts for use in fashion and some traditional forms of Asian medicine. Current estimates indicate that there are more than 5,000 tigers in captivity in the United States, more than exist in the wild."
Sorry, that was considerably longer, but you get the point, right? Good. Keep it in your brain.
Now, I don't want to bring any government officials into this matter, but... If you are one of those people in the US government department that handles this kind of thing... Don't you think you should care more? Please, don't spend all your time keeping other matters in check.
This incident happened in August this year. I don't know what's become of it but I pray that the problem's been fixed, sparing the lives of quite a considerable number of tigers.

No comments: