Saturday, June 28, 2008

Turtle soup


How many of you people who read this blog have tried turtle soup/snapper soup? Come on, admit it if you have. Truth is, I am appalled that you didn't stop before bringing that spoon to your mouth to wonder, "Is what I am doing now okay? Will it have too bad an effect, make not much of a difference, or none at all?"
Actually, I would rather you did that, than thinking that but just ignoring the thought and drinking the soup anyway. That would not appall me - that would induce me to shout and scream at you, that is, if I could.
Green turtles, along with snapper turtles (used in the US) are used to make turtle soup. In many jurisdictions, turtle soup is illegal because many species are considered endangered, and so cannot legally be captured and killed. This is true. Generally, turtle populations cannot quickly recover from the loss of a breeding adult. Thus, making turtle soup could indirectly cause populations to dive below sustainable levels. Now do you understand why I seem to consider it a crime to drink turtle soup?
I once heard that once the demand stops, the killing will too. That's true of turtles.
I am fully aware of the fact that the Chinese believe that turtle soup is beneficial. But I just cannot stand the thought of people killing off innocent creatures because they believe the creature will help.
I don't have anything against eating animals - I'm not vegetarian - but I do have a problem with people eating endangered animals.

No comments: